Monday, May 13, 2013

Cuba In Color









My heritage is Cuban.  I was born here in the states but my parents fled Havana when everyone was fleeing.  Left behind their life, all of it really, to start over here in the U.S.  Even though I was raised here, I think in and speak Spanish within my family.  Often times, Spanish comes easier for me than English.  Or at least, concepts appear to me in Spanish and I work to find the word in English instead of vice versa.

Back in 2011, I was lucky enough to visit the country for the first time.   Not what I expected.  Or maybe it was but just not prepared.   The dusty, decaying remains of former grandeur were evident everywhere we went.  In spite of all this, the faces that greeted us were beautiful, curious and friendly.

I'll post some of those shots next time.

H

1 comment:

  1. Hildi, as always, your photos are stunning. The last one especially speaks to me (the three distinct layers, with the laundry on the line present in all three--just perfect).

    Thanks for sharing.

    PS--I admire your fluency is so many languages! I always find it fascinating when people talk about "thinking" differently in different languages. Some words and ideas just don't translate perfectly, so learning more languages must help you think and conceptualize and process things from so many different, valuable perspectives. True cosmopolitanism!

    ReplyDelete