Monday, May 20, 2013

The Art of Eating

As promised, I have put together my list of what I consider the best "museum" eateries here in Paris.  All worth a visit if you happen to be in need of a break while taking in the overwhelming amount of beauty this city has at its disposal. 

The least spectacular but certainly the most quintessentially old world French would be the Tea Room at the Musée de la Vie Romantique.  Found in the seldom visited 9th arrondissement, it is worth the trek to get here.  The hôtel particular was originally owned by Ary Scheffer, a prominent artist in the 1830's.  Here he would host Friday evening "salons" inviting the likes of George Sand, Frederic Chopin and artists Delacroix and Ingres.  Not bad dinner company.

Today the museum showcases mementos belonging to George Sand, along with paintings done by various artists of the period.  This tea room, actually more of a solarium, serves light meals, and sweet treats in a lovely garden setting.  It easily transports the visitor back in time.  



Going through the Musée d'Orsay is one of my most favorite things to do.  I never tire of their collection and now having gone through a renovation last year, it is more intimate, giving new life to its masterpieces.  

While the museum is home to two cafés, it's this one on the mezzanine level that I love taking visitors to.  The splendor that surrounds you is worth sitting for a cup of coffee.  The food isn't the best but the wine list makes up for that.  And the service, contrary to what one expects in France has always been friendly and welcoming. 


Musée Jacquemart-André, I think, is underrated as far as destinations in Paris go.  The romantic story behind its history is worth discovering.  This collection is a miniature version of the Louvre...the  collectors,  Edouard André and his wife, Nelié Jacquemart, travelled around the world to bring back works of art through the ages.  The museum is housed in their home, a Haussmanian mansion which is as significant as the art it holds.  

The home's magnificent dining room has been transformed into one the most beautiful tea rooms in Paris.  So much so, that Parisians choose to meet here for lunch or brunch on the weekends.  Not your typical tourist destination.  I would of course recommend going through the entire space but if time doesn't allow, this café is worth a visit.  
  

Next post, three more suggestions ... and I'm limiting myself!!  There is no end to the places one needs to visit here.  

H
  

1 comment:

  1. Jacquemart-André is my favorite. I never pass an opportunity to lunch there. However, I make sure to go early. They always sell out of my favorite dessert if I arrive late. I have no idea what the name of it is though. My only way to describe it, is that it's like a giant pistachio maracron cookie filled with raspberries and cream. SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete