Friday, April 12, 2013

Christian Liaigre

Christian Liaigre

When I arrived in Paris to set up my new life, I went to task to find the perfect apartment.  Through some wonderful connections, I ended up in what could be described as the quintessential idea of what a Parisian apartment looks like.  Plaster ceilings with decorative carvings, two marble fireplaces, herringbone patterned oak floors and double French doors leading out to two small balconies overlooking the gardens of Les Invalids.  Clearly, I thanked my lucky stars.  

As I worked on filling the space, I wanted the architectural elements tell their story without being overshadowed by 19th century antiques that would have created an all out competition in "look at me first", as well as, a museum-like quality.  Balance was my guide.  

Enter, Christian Liaigre.   

View of the Salon with Christian Liaigre mirror reflecting the balcony overlooking Hôtel des Invalids

For the past 25 years, Christian Liagre has made a name for himself creating furnishings and interiors that while "contemporary" in feel, reflect timeless and elegant design. His seating is ample and comfortable and all his work is sculptural and organic.  A successful blend of elegance and livability.   His work fit perfectly in my new apartment.  Opting for the beautiful neutral colors you see here created a serene space to come home to where nothing felt jarring or out of place.  

Looking towards the balcony and Hôtel des Invalids


10 foot table and leather chairs all by Christian Liaigre.


Console with family photos and art/design books.  And flowers. Always. 


Christian Liaigre headboard, nightstand and chair.


Perhaps not as well-known in the U.S., he does many design projects in New York, London, Bangkok and of course, Paris.  He opened a design studio a few years back on rue de Varenne in the 7th arrondissement which is a showroom as well.  Lighting, home fragrance and artwork are for sale and if you are interested it's worth a visit.  

My favorite cups from Venice by Carlo Moretti

While I selected soothing colors for all my upholstery, that doesn't mean I'm adverse to color.  Open my cabinets and closets and a riot of color emerges.   Glassware, china and linens that I've collected throughout my travels tell the story when I set a table.   These cups by Carlo Moretti are a perfect example of how keeping my surroundings subtle allows for any color palette to take center stage.  

I know what you're thinking.  Where's the sand? Where are the feathers?
In my closet.

Have a great weekend everyone.
H

Photo credits:  1, 2-6 (personal photos) 

1 comment:

  1. I can't lie--back when I was a teenager and watching Trading Spaces and was obsessed with "Hildi-episodes," part of me always imagined you returning to a home filled with even more glamorous versions of all your wall-treatments. But somehow, this makes even more sense. And it's beautiful!

    I've actually recently had this urge to go back and rewatch all of your episodes from Trading Spaces and Trading Spaces: Family, but, old episodes of Trading Spaces seem to be the one thing in the world you CAN'T find on the internet! A shame, too--I have a lot of fond memories watching the show. Your rooms were always my favorite. Not to mention, I always waited with baited breath to see what outfit you would rock during the interview with Paige. The good old days. :)

    Anyway, I'm rambling now. Love visiting this blog!

    ReplyDelete